TARI Naliendele participated on World Sesame & Peanut Conference in Amman Jordan
- 29th September, 2023 11:57
- By JULIUS.BUTINDI
TARI Naliendele participated on World Sesame & Peanut Conference which conducted on 3 - 5/09/2023 Amman Jordan.
Mr. Joseph Nzunda, a Country Coordinator of Sesame Research Program, represented TARI to the World Sesame & Peanut Conference in Jordan. Below is his presentation.
EFFORTS BY GOVERNMENT TO IMPROVE YIELDS AND INCOME LEVEL OF FARMERS CONNECTED WITH SESAME
By. Joseph Nzunda, National Coordinator of Sesame Research Program TARI-Tanzania Agricultural Research Institute email@example.com; +255784 48 79 48
· Government efforts
· Recommendation and conclusion
· Tanzania area: sq km 947,300 (world bank)
· Population 61 Million
· Arable land: 13,502,500 ha in 2020 (World Bank collection)
· Tanzania is among the top 10 sesame producers in the world (FAOSTAT, 2023).
· Currently Tanzania Sesame export is estimated as 630,000 MT.
EFFORTS OF GOVERNMENT TO IMPROVE YIELDS AND INCOME LEVEL OF FARMERS CONNECTED WITH SESAME
i. Increase seed production
· Support seed dealers, Agency
· Supply of pre-basic seeds
ii. Quality control and Maintenance
· Maximum use of improved varieties
· Thoroughly inspection AMCOS level
iii. Provision of agricultural inputs
· Field insecticides
· By LGAs, CUs
iv. Establishment of Block Farming
· Improve technical support
v. Improve extension services
· Capacity building of extension officers
· Provision of working facilities (Transport)
vi. Improve Ware House Receipt System
· Introduce the system in different region
· Improve cooperative unions
vii. Soil health
· Soil testing
· Strengthen laboratory services
viii. Research and Innovation
· Development of new technologies in Agriculture
· Increase budget
ix. Create Conducive environment and maintain the following available opportunities
· Availability of suitable land for sesame farming
· Availability of strong Sesame Research Program ready to collaborate with investors/sponsors
· Good Policy for investors
· Peaceful country
· Willingness of farmers and leadership(president support on Agriculture)
· Availability of improved sesame seeds (high yielding varieties 1500kg/ha)
RECOMMENDATION AND CONCLUSION
· The major factor to enable farmers put effort in sesame production is through provision of attractive prices. Buyers are advised to set good prices.
· Buyers are invited to come and buy because the modality of selling is very friendly. The auction will be conducted online under coordination of TMX
· Due to availability of land and good varieties of sesame, farmers can produce enough to meet the demand of buyers. It is possible to increase production and productivity through expansion of land under sesame.
· In order to satisfy the demand of sesame in the world it is important all stakeholders to join hands and have regional implementation plan both in research, production and processing.
For more information
on World Sesame & Peanut Conference please follow World Sesame & Peanut Conference